Sunday, October 3, 2010

the X Factor (Part 1)

By LIZZIE SMITH and LIZ THOMAS

Cheryl's girls: Cher Lloyd, Katie Waissel and Rebecca Ferguson made it through to the final 12 of the X Factor; but Gamu missed out, shocking many


Her audition was Cheryl Cole's favourite of the series.

And it seems that first impressions really do count, after Cher Lloyd won a place in The X Factor's live shows - even though she struggled to sing a single note in her latest performance.

Of course for many it was bad news, including an early favourite. It was a no from Cheryl for Zimbabwean singer Gamu Nhengu, who had won many fans with her quirky singing style.

Gamu's omission was thought by many to be a mistake, with more than 25,000 joining a Facebook group called 'Gamu should have got through' within three hours of the show airing.

The drama came as the 32 hopefuls were whittled down to 12 ahead of the live shows, which begin next week.

There were no surprises as Simon Cowell put through both of his hand-picked groups, made up of rejected solo artists. Belle Amie and 1 Direction joined FYD.

Dannii chose Aiden Grimshaw, Matt Cardle and Nicolo Festa, while Louis Walsh picked Mary Byrne, John Adeleye and Storm Lee.

There was no shortage of tension as the final 12 were announced.

Cheryl admitted that putting Cher through to the next stage was one of the 'hardest decisions' she had made on the show as the 17-year-old was overcome with tears during the judges' houses stage of the competition.


Drama: Cher broke down when she received the good news, after convincing herself she was going home


Cheryl admitted that putting Cher through to the next stage was one of the 'hardest decisions' she had made


The teenager, who is fighting a throat infection, began speaking the words of an R Kelly song before breaking down.


Rejected: Gamu Nhengu was a favourite of many, but missed out in a controversial decision by Cheryl Cole


On Saturday's show, Cheryl could be seen comforting Cher before asking her if she wanted to try again later.

But show producers had to subtitle the young hopeful's response as she whispered back: 'I am done now, I am done. Sorry.'

Despite being the bookies' favourite to win this year's contest, her failure to perform left her future in doubt.

But last night, Cheryl opted to put her through to the final based on her earlier performances.

Before giving Cher her verdict, she explained: 'When I go back to the first time I ever saw you perform I instantly thought you were fantastic, I was really excited to see you again and I get here yesterday and it's like you've fallen apart and you weren't the girl that I'd seen before.

'It is one of the hardest decisions I can genuinely say I've made in the three series that I've done, because my heart and my head are pulling in completely different directions.'

Show insiders admitted Cheryl has an 'affinity' with Cher and sees similarities with herself when she first appeared on ITV's Popstars: The Rivals in 2002.

Like the Girls Aloud singer, Cher, from Malvern in Worcestershire, comes from a troubled background and has been in scrapes herself in the past.

Several of her relatives have had brushes with the law, and the aspiring singer was suspended from school at 14 after getting into a fight.

Cher said: 'I have made mistakes in the past too but I believe everyone deserves a second chance.'


She's through: Cheryl dramatically broke down in tears during the decision making progress, but quickly regained her composure to lambast contestant Katie Waissel, for being 'a little bit annoying'


But many fans commenting on online message boards felt that the teenager should not have been put through to the finals because she is simply not up to being in the competition.

A concerned viewer said: 'This young girl seems so emotionally fragile. It really did make for uncomfortable viewing.'

Another said: 'I don't think Cher is ready for all this. I feel she is not emotionally strong enough and doesn't have the self-confidence to enter a music career.

'She should have given it a few years, matured a bit, then entered.'


She's out: Gamu was an early favourite, but didn't win a place in Cheryl's final three, nor did Raquel Thomas


Others voiced concerns that Cher was being given preferential treatment despite her poor performance because she had won over Cheryl early in the competition.
One said: 'She wasn't very good but is clearly going to sail through because she is Cheryl's pet.'

Another commented: 'It wouldn't be fair if she was put through to the live shows even though she messed up at this stage, because that means they were planning on putting her through the whole time which isn't fair for all the other contestants at the judges' houses.

'They'd be basing it only on her previous singing from the beginning.'


I can help you: Cheryl saw something special in Rebecca Ferguson, 23, from Liverpool


A spokesman for The X Factor insisted it was within the rules for the judges to select candidates for the live finals regardless of their most recent performance.
But it is understood to be the first time a contestant has failed to perform during the judges' houses stage and still been put through.

A show source insisted producers would keep be keeping a close eye on Cher to make sure she is coping with the rigours of the show and her new-found fame


Broken dreams: After making it to the judges' houses stage for a second time, Treyc Cohen thought it was 'my year' but Cheryl didn't agree, despite saying she had one of the best voices


An ITV spokesman said: 'The welfare of contestants is of paramount importance and we are keeping a close eye on the young ones.

'There are members of production in the house with the contestants at all times and there is a counsellor available to them.'

Cheryl also dramatically broke down in tears during the decision making progress, but quickly regained her composure to lambast contestant Katie, for being 'a little bit annoying'.

Cheryl told her: 'First of all I want to say it's been a pleasure to get to know you as a person.

'I think you're quirky, I think you're original, I think there's something very intriguing about you, but I also have to say that there's a little something that I think people could find, if I'm being brutally honest, a little bit annoying.

'Also sometimes when I'm talking to you there's always something that I don't believe.'


Anastacia Baker, for the second year running, and Keri Arrindell had their hopes dashed


Joining Cher and Katie in the final is single mother Rebecca Ferguson, 23, from Liverpool, whose audition Cheryl missed as she battled malaria.

She told her: 'Normally when I have a first audition I have an initial reaction and I didn't have that.'

But Cheryl decided to take a risk. 'I think I can bring your confidence out of you. I'm going to take you through to the live final. I'm excited.'

But that left five girls drying their tears as they dealt with their rejection.
Gamu was told: 'I thought you were adorable, I got you. I love your style of song and how you perform.'

But it wasn't good news.

'I'm sorry Gamu, I don't think I can take you further forward. You just need to keep going and get some more experience.'

Anastacia Baker, 21, who got through to the judges' houses stage in 2008 but collapsed, missed out once again.

'I have not given up, I'm doing this because this is what I'm born to do and I'm doing it,' she told the camera.

'Isn't it crazy to be here again?' asked Cheryl. And she was pleased to see how Anastacia had matured.

'It's like chalk and cheese, You've changed your image, it's beautiful.'
But it wasn't enough. 'I do believe that you've got something. But I'm sorry.'
Dermot couldn't believe it. 'Not again, eh?' he asked her.

Treyc Cohen also made it to the judges' houses stage last year and again failed to make the live shows,

'Will and I both loved your voice,' she was told. 'But we asked ourselves where would she fit into the market today?'

Treyc kept smiling, but Cheryl worried: 'I think she thought she was going to go through.'
And Keri Arrindell, 23, and Raquel Thomas, 19, both got a no.






source :dailymail